Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Making Modern Art

Yesterday, Michelle and I were at the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao and we stopped by the Anish Kapoor exhibition. One of his works was a wall and part of the floor covered in red wax. While we were looking at it, he comes out and adds more wax to his work...with a canon. And then he walked away without saying a word. Apparently it's art?

Don't get me wrong, I like modern art. The psychologist in me loves to stare at the paintings and try to understand the artist and what his/her message is. I've studied a little bit of Picasso, Dalí and Miró during my junior year in high school and the Universitat Pompeu Fabra offers a class in modern Spanish art that I want to take. But seriously, I don't get why this is art?


Iberia by Robert Motherwell. (No, the webpage has already loaded, that's the painting. It's a totally black canvas with a little bit of white in the corner.)

Oh well. You win some, lose some.

Anyway, here's the video of the red wax cannon:

No comments:

Post a Comment